As soon as you get out of bed, go to the kitchen, make a glass and drink it. A simple step like this helps your body detoxify and promotes weight loss, among other functions. And get reminder here.
You’ve probably heard of the many benefits of warm water with lemon. This habit is part of the traditional Chinese medicine and helps us to stabilize the natural rhythm of our body, to detoxify the organism or to improve the functions of the digestive system. However, a new recipe is beginning to resonate strongly among lovers of healthy living: the consumption of hot water on an empty stomach. This may come as a shock to some people, but if you try it for at least 15 days experts assure you that your health will be rewarded. What properties accompany this food practice?
Much more than yin-yang
The Chinese culture is once again behind this healing method that stands out for its effectiveness and simplicity. Centuries ago, the healers of the Far East recommended the intake of hot water to correct the imbalance between yin and yang. This was noted through insatiable thirst, episodes of sweating, water retention, chills or mental fatigue. The Chinese believed that by drinking hot water daily they would solve this instability, a belief that is now a thing of the past, but whose effects have turned out to be more true than they seemed.
However, despite the benefits it brings to our bodies, it is important to be careful about the temperature the liquid reaches before consumption. According to one study, water that is too hot can cause abrasion of the oesophagus. “The results show that drinking very hot beverages probably causes cancer of the esophagus and that it is the temperature, not the beverages themselves, that seems to be responsible,” Christopher Wild, director of the International Agency for Research on Cancer, said in a statement. Under this assumption, it is recommended that water be heated to about 37 degrees — a temperature similar to that of the human body. As for the best time of day to implement this system, many experts advise doing so half an hour before breakfast, although it is also very productive before going to sleep. If you don’t feel like drinking hot water first thing in the morning, you can always put it in a thermos flask and sip it little by little. Once the ‘ritual’ is over, how does it affect our body?
An extensive list of benefits
- A natural way to lose weight. “The consumption of hot water improves our chances of eating fewer calories per day. […] It also curbs cravings, hydrates our body and leaves our stomach feeling fuller than cold water. If you drink hot water during your meals, you will feel satisfied sooner and, therefore, you will end up eating less”, they assure from the Barcelona Alternativa platform.
- A very effective moisturizer. Returning to hydration, it has been proven that hot water hydrates more than cold water, as it takes the body a long time to absorb it. This results in additional hydration of the skin, a remedy against damaged cells and an increase in the elasticity of the dermis.
- It balances the nervous system. Drinking warm water on an empty stomach helps purify the stomach, preparing it to better digest the nutrients you consume throughout the day. This is because the environment inside you is free of toxins, thus improving the health of the nervous system and the digestive process. In addition, some studies claim that it is also a great tool for managing stress and anxiety.
Hot water consumption improves our chances of eating fewer calories per day
- It reduces menstrual cramps. Women will find this habit a great ally during their menstrual cycle. Hot water is an ideal antidote to combat common ailments such as muscle cramps, headaches and menstrual symptoms. “The reason is that heat has a calming effect that will reduce pain and relax the body,” defend from Clinicas Vicario. In addition, “if you suffer from muscle cramps you should know that hot water stimulates blood circulation, which will be an ideal ally to treat injuries or reduce the pain of cramps,” they add.
- It strengthens the immune system. Drinking hot water helps stimulate the immune system, so that our body is fully protected from attack by external agents such as viruses or bacteria. Not only that, it also treats inflamed and diseased tissue, cleansing it and reducing pain.
- It relieves constipation. “There are quite a few people who suffer from constipation because the diet we are currently eating is very low in fibre and we tend to take recipes that are quite difficult to digest, therefore, the intestinal transit is slowed down and our body does not clean itself properly. It is then when constipation appears”, explain from Clinicas Vicario. Hot water can generate intestinal spasms, which consequently stimulates the intestinal transit.